UK release date: 14/6/13
Runtime: 143 minutes
Directed by: Zack Snyder
Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe
Note: This film is available on Now TV at the time of this review!
Considering the amount of modern superhero films I’ve seen, and loved, recently, I was expecting this film to be another excellent example of this.
It was not.
Besides the last forty odd minutes which were pretty fantastic, I was pretty bored and rolled my eyes on occasion at its cheesy, dramatics. The fact that it’s well made and really good looking makes this film even more disappointing.
There’s only one thing for it. We need a LIST!!
1.The origin/backstory took so long! And was pretty boring and pointless. Could we get to the action please?!
2. Seriously, they dawdle round, giving us pointless info that we already know before the action finally kicks ABOUT AN HOUR LATER!
3. The constant, over dramatic music drove me insane. It NEVER stopped!
4. They drew out scenes too much with way too many long dramatic poses.
5. The sequences of events is given in a weird disjointed way and ruins what it was trying to do, which was give us backstory and characterization.
6. I think I would have liked Henry Cavill’s portrayal of Clark Kent if this had been a better film. At times, his performance blows me away, but the movie itself lets his portrayal down.
7. I was severely disappointed by Lois Lane. Amy Adams is OK. But, WHERE IS THE SASSY BADASS LOIS LANE I WAS EXPECTING?!!
8. There are moments that I seem a glimmer of the amazing film this could have been. Moments that leave me breathless, but it’s bogged down by silly, illogical, too dramatic, stupidness.
So, yeah, there’s my midly rant-like list. Hopefully, the sequel is better. I feel like it might? But we’ll see.
To sum up, Annoying music, so long, weird plot sequence, no characterization
Was it worth the watch? No
Would I re-watch? No
RELATED REVIEWS –